What is Super Visa?
A super visa is a special type of Canadian visit visa aimed at parents and grandparents of citizens and residents which lets you visit for up to 2 years at a time. It provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. Since the program began in 2011, the numbers have been steadily increasing each year.
Any visit less than 6 months will fall under a visitor visa. This class of visa was created to balance the limited number of permanent residence visa applications permitted each year, and to remedy the long processing times for these applications. A Super Visa is usually processed in less than 6 months.
Who can apply for a Super Visa?
Eligibility checks for a Super Visa are the following:
- The applicant must be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Possess a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada. This document should include: - A signed promise that all the expenses will be taken care of during the length of your visit - The details and number of people living in this person’s household - A copy of the resident’s Canadian citizenship
- A medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company has to be obtained that is valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry. It should have a minimum coverage of $100,000 and there should also be a proof that the medical insurance has been paid.
- Go through a medical examination
- The resident must provide a proof that they have an income above a specified minimum threshold
Financial support proof
The following are the documents required to prove minimum income threshold:
- Most recent NOA (also known as Notice of Assessment) – for the most recent tax year
- Most recent copy of the resident’s T4/T1
- Original letter from the resident's employer stating their employment title, description, date of hiring and income
- Insurance pay stubs
How to apply
Once you have all the documents specified (letter of invitation, minimum income threshold proof, medical insurance, document confirming medical tests undertaken), you can start applying for the Super Visa.
The application for a super visa has to be from outside Canada; it can be through paper or online. Applying online is more convenient for the following reasons:
- Instant application and no courier charges/delivery delay
- Faster processing of the application
- Passport submission is not required until asked for
- Online application avoids process delays by making sure all fields are complete before submitting it
- Any additional documents required can be submitted instantly online
- Live updates will be available online
After you apply
Most super visa applications are processed within a few weeks or even lesser than that. This time period depends on the visa office.
NOTE: Due to the current circumstances of COVID-19, if the nearby application centers are not open to give biometrics (this is if you haven’t given biometrics in the last 10 years), there are temporary procedures in its place.