Study in the United Kingdom

All you need to know


The United Kingdom is one of the most prominent countries that offer the best quality of education. Be it science, art and design, business and management, law and finance or engineering. The UK has it all in its best form. The United Kingdom can be considered a world administrator in many streams of education and that makes its quality an extraordinary one. The UK is very well famous for its development in scientific research, and that maintains a reputation globally. You get a world-renowned schooling system with qualifications that can put you on top of the list, and that can really make a difference to your future. The bright and vibrant environment in the UK gives you the best exposure. It welcomes over 500,000 foreign students each year to a variety of courses. That is not the best part yet. You can be the tailor of your dream course. You have the liberty to blend courses and contents from various sections of studies, that way you can cover the areas you really like and excel in it. In short, studying in the United Kingdom can turn your life around in an extraordinary way.

Student visa details:

UK Visas and Immigration authority manages the visa requirements and general immigration. Students who belong to Swiss nationals and those from EU/EEA states do not presently need a visa to do their academics in the United Kingdom, but students from other nations require one.


  • You can obtain a short term study visa if you’re over 18 years of age and wishing to do a short time course. This type of visa is valid up to 6 months. In the case of English language courses, the same visa could be extended up to 11 months.
  • The case is different when it comes to long term courses. You have to apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa (4-17 years of age) or a Tier 4 (general) student visa (aged 16 years or more) to begin studies at an independent institute in the United Kingdom. You must also make sure that the institution you choose holds a Tier 4 Sponsor License. Only then you can move your visa procedures forward.

What is Tier 4 (general) student visa?

The General student visa is given for international students who are aged at least 16 years. It is a part of the UK Immigration Points Based System. Holding this visa, an international student can and in the United Kingdom one month prior to the start of studies which last for more than 6 months. If the course is less than 6 months, then the student can enter the boundaries of the UK before one week.

What is Tier 4 (Child) student visa?

The child student visa is for non-EEA nationals aged between 4 and 17 years. They must obtain this visa if they wish to study in the UK. Students aged between 4 and 15 years will be educated at independent fee-paying schools. Students who are 16 or 17 years may do their studies at publicly-funded Further Education Colleges provided that the institution is able to charge for foreign students and that the child is a fee-paying student. Tier 4 Child student cannot study at a publicly funded institution. Some important points to keep in mind:


  • You must convince UK Visas and Immigration that you will be able to support yourself financially.
  • You must show that you have funds to pay for your school fees.
  • You can work only up to 10 hours per week and full-time during vacations.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS): After you get an offer on a course of study, the education provider will send a CAS reference number. From that point, the student gets a time period of 6 months to apply for Tier 4 child student visa.

Visa requirements of the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom follows a points-based system in issuing student visas. In order to satisfy the criteria, you will need to provide:


  • Valid passport details
  • A recent photograph of yours
  • Proof that shows your ability in the English language. (Not applicable if you’re from an English-speaking country)
  • Documents that show you have enough funds to support yourself financially during your stay in the United Kingdom. (Worth 10 points)
  • An ATAS certificate if you’re a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national studying a sensitive subject.
  • A course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor. Also, a Confirmation Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider. (Worth 30 points)
  • A written consent from your parents or guardians that you can live and travel independently if you are 16 or 17 years of age.
  • Documents showing your educational qualifications, biometric test and a digital scan of your fingerprints.
  • Documents regarding medical vaccinations depending on your nationality.

What is ATAS certificate?

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) demands all international students doing studies on sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used to develop programs like weapon of mass destruction (WMDs), to apply for ATAS certificate before they can study in the United Kingdom. Therefore, if you’re planning to take such subjects please do keep this point in mind.

Wondering if you can work in the United Kingdom during your stay? Why not! EU, EEA and Swiss national students can work while studying in the UK. Students holding Tier 4 student visa can work part-time up to 20 hours per week and full-time during vacations. If you are aged 16 or 17 years, only 10 hours of work per week is permitted.

There are more than 395 universities in the UK offering over 50,000 undergraduate courses. Each university demands differ. The deadlines for applying for the course will not be the same. Tuition fees also may vary depending on the university or colleges. You may get help in tuition fees through scholarships. The living cost depends on where you study. To the main cities, it increases. London and other larger cities tend to be quite expensive. The living expense in outskirts is reasonable.

All this information must be a little heavy for you to process, but take a deep breath and relax. The well experienced and professional consultants at KGraph Immigration Consultancy will make things easier for you. We will guide you through all the procedures and make sure that everything goes smoothly. The process will be a bit long and tiring, but we will make sure that every single step regarding your visa will be taken care in the most efficient manner. KGraph is here to colour your dreams.